PV*SOL Wishlist

Jon
Message added by developer_mm

Dear PV*SOL users,

to collect and centralize the feature requests for PV*SOL, we have created this topic.

Here you can post your ideas for missing features, usability improvements or other suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The option to enlarge the "Define Module Areas" window, so one doesn't have to scroll every time once beyond 9 strings.
EDIT: Also, it would make it easier if the list could be sorted A->Z / 1->9. (Especially later when setting up the inverter config)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Honestly I think it would be a good ide to remake the PV*SOL program. New Engine, HUD and interface.
Maybe it could also be an idea to go into a cooperation with a CAD software maker to integrate there drawing engine/tool into PVSOL. Maybe something like SketchUP because it's fairly easy.

Also large project takes a fair amount of ressources when calculating and it's nonsense that the program do not utilize more that one CPU core.

I use PV*SOL Premium for my everyday job. 

I have a profession degree in CAD, 3D drawing and product/process optimization, and I really think this would take PV*SOL to a entirely new height. 
The calculations and options in the program is great, so I think you have something really good. It just seems outdated.

4 hours ago, JesperE_Co2Pro said:

Honestly I think it would be a good ide to remake the PV*SOL program. New Engine, HUD and interface.
Maybe it could also be an idea to go into a cooperation with a CAD software maker to integrate there drawing engine/tool into PVSOL. Maybe something like SketchUP because it's fairly easy.

Also large project takes a fair amount of ressources when calculating and it's nonsense that the program do not utilize more that one CPU core.

I use PV*SOL Premium for my everyday job. 

I have a profession degree in CAD, 3D drawing and product/process optimization, and I really think this would take PV*SOL to a entirely new height. 
The calculations and options in the program is great, so I think you have something really good. It just seems outdated.

Hi Jesper,

I'm just an everyday user like yourself but I've been hanging out on this forum for a long time and have read a lot of posts by the developers.

As I understand it they are in fact working on a complete re-design of the software, although it will probably take until the end of 2022 or later until we get to see it. And yeah, we all (including the developers) think that the software is outdated (just the fact that it's 32-bit says a lot) and that's because the core of the program was written in 1999 (I think).

Even though it is outdated I still think that it's the best and most accurate software for most PV simulations. Some other softwares are more user friendly, look nicer or have fewer limitations when it comes to size and such things but when all things are considered together I still chose to buy this even though I've tried almost a dozen other softwares.

• 1 month later...

I've noticed since the 2022 update that the "Own Power Consumption" Percentage figure has been removed from the yield section, this was a useful figure for us to highlight the ROI potential of our systems. I know it can be worked out by using the figures from the energy flow graph, but it'd be great to have it added back as a figure.

15 hours ago, Ryan PSE said:

I've noticed since the 2022 update that the "Own Power Consumption" Percentage figure has been removed from the yield section, this was a useful figure for us to highlight the ROI potential of our systems. I know it can be worked out by using the figures from the energy flow graph, but it'd be great to have it added back as a figure.

Hi Ryan,

we didn't remove the own power percentage from the yield section. If the problem persists, please open up a new thread, perhaps along with a screenshot.

Thanks and kind regards,

Martin

I'd like to request a functional TAB function for the inverter setup. So, if my location is at the red circle in the in the picture below (which shouldn't be a value that TAB recognizes but anyway) when I press TAB it goes one step to the right, which it should (blue circle), then onto green, yellow, magenta and lastly purple. Which... FINE!

I think that we can all see that it should preferably only go between the number input boxes of strings and modules in series but whatever, I can press TAB 6 times per row instead of the 2 that I need...

image.png.04128334377c2492a3662372880ed807.png

But does anyone know/remember what happens when you press TAB while in the purple circle!?? Yeah, that's right! You end up in BLACK!

image.png.1903f63288b6166ae3f0512182149a83.png

• 4 weeks later...

My wish list would be as follow:

1- a CTRL-Z or Undo function would be very handy as this is often missed

2- we make quite a view calculation for the same customers, so a (private) database for these customers would save a lot of time.

3- a more useable 3D model import would be great, import ability from .IFC file would be excelent because they are being used a lot in construction work.

4- the option to set the "outline" to a different colour is very handy especially if you are working from a drawing

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Frido said:

The option to choose which values to want to export, when exporting .csv files would be nice. So the exported files stay nice and compact.

With minute values, I get files well above 2 GB.

Hey Frido,

I just realized that there's a better function for this than exporting all of the data under the simulation tab. I usually don't use it myself as I only do hourly simulations and my files rarely get larger than 5MB (in the rare cases where I even get the data).

Anyway, the way to get specific data is hidden (I don't think it's in any tutorial or in the help pages) in the results tab.

Under "Simulation" there's the "Diagram editor". You'll want the type to be diagram to be interval and the select the data series that you want. Set the interval to 365 (or just scroll out when hovering over the diagram) and choose "day".

When you see all the data for the whole year in the diagram, right click on the diagram and choose "copy table to clipboard". Paste inte Excel.

And I just realized that PV*SOL has the current data I-V curve if you change the diagram type to "characteristics" instead. You are however not able to use that data since you can only look at the I-V curve for a single minute (or hour is that is simulated) at a time. Copying that data to clippboard doesn't give any meaningful data. 

• 5 weeks later...

I would like to see the option to select "electric heated boiler" in thermal systems tab.

Most boiler systems in Belgium are electrically "heated" during the night using a economic rate)

Now i can only select gas/wood or oil, which looks off in the presentation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Frido said:

When rotating any building or structure, it would be nice if the collision detection would not be active during the process. As the desired rotation is often not possible, just because there is something in the way while rotating.

Yes! I haven't noticed this being a problem recently, has it been fixed? If it hasn't already been fixed it should be.