Flow battery storage

Anders Lundberg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Martin,

I have received product data from Blusky Energy, which by the way is a saltwater battery and not a flow battery.

The following is the battery data:

• Cell Voltage = 1,5V
  • No of Cells in serial = 32
  • Internal resistance = approx. 350mOhm
  • Self-Discharge = 3%
  • DOD @ 80% = 5500

Discharge Table:

• 10 hours = approx. 53,1Ah (discharge current = ~5A)
  • 5 hours = approx. 46,6Ah (discharge current = ~9,2A)
  • 1 hours and less not possible (to high discharge current, max. = 20A)

1. Is it ok to use the Vented Type for both saltwater and Redox flow batteries?

Anders

Edited by Anders Lundberg
Learned a bit more about batteries?

Hello Anders,

we checked several data sheets from saltwater battery manufacturers to fit our simulation model. Due to the lack of sufficient data we didn't implement a discretely defined model yet. Since saltwater batteries tend to show a similar behaviour as lead-acid batteries (voltage), it is possible to approximate them energetically at least using lead-acid batteries.

It is possible to substitute both saltwater and redox-flow batteries using the lead-acid model considering the data you named above. Being able to compare simulation results to measured data is recommended

Luckily we have access to measured data of one redox-flow battery in the field, so it seems possible to generate a discrete model in the future. So far I'm disillusioned by the energy efficiency and I strongly recommend to ask the manufacturer for measured data preventing you from overrating redox-flow model substitutes**.

If you have further questions feel free to ask!

Best regards!
Frederik

EDIT:

**It is possible to regard losses due to hydraulic technics via raising the self-discharge factor.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I am trying to simulate the redox flow battery "VoltStorage Smart" with the information provided above and by using the product's data sheet.

However, the "level of self sufficiency" of 42.1 %  seems too low compared to when  I choose other battery systems with similar capacities (e.g. BlueSky or BYD with more than 50 %).

Does anybody have an explanation? Maybe my model needs to be adapted?

Kind regards

Hubert

EDIT: the efficiency is too high. It should be 0.75 according to the CARMEN online database. Yet, changing it doesn't affect the outcome much.

h VOLTSTORAGE.pvprj VoltStorage SMART Technical Datasheet.pdf