Financial analysis with battery system is incorrect

LukasEN

Hi,

I have trouble with financial analysis calculation with and without battery. If I calculate with battery so level of self-sufficiency is bigger but financial analysis tell me that return of assets, amortization period and revenue or saving are same like without battery. The price of both systems are same. 

When I don´t change price of project and I use battery then assets, amortization period and revenue or saving should be better, not same like without battery.

Please tell me when I was do a mistake.

Thanks

Lukas

Hi Lukáš,

in your case you are analysing a project with net metering economy calculation. Net metering tariffs work like that: At the end of the tariff period (usually a month), you check the balance between grid feed-in and consumption from the grid. For every kWh that you consume more than you feed in, you have to pay the price stated in the tariff. If you produce more than you consume, you don't have to pay.

Because of this mechanism, battery system are rarely able to produce a positive effect on the economy of net metering projects. Compare these diagrams from your projects:

Without battery you are feeding in 5683 kWh and taking 7455 kWh. Balance is 1772 kWh.

grafik.png

With battery you are feeding in less, 3014 kWh, but you are also taking less, 5325 kWh. Balance is 2331 kWh.

grafik.png

So, in the latter case, your balance is worse from an economical point of view, mostly because of the losses in the battery.

Hope that answers your question, kind regards,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Installation with batteries. It should be noted that the system itself draws much less energy with batteries than without, however, the system of surcharges or netmetering eliminates financial profits. One must noted that the batteries stabilize the system, however, financially they need to be added.

4 hours ago, marflasi said:

Installation with batteries. It should be noted that the system itself draws much less energy with batteries than without, however, the system of surcharges or netmetering eliminates financial profits. One must noted that the batteries stabilize the system, however, financially they need to be added.