ongrid PV system with batteries

Miguel Santos Silva

Hi Miguel,

that is correct, at the moment the battery systems can only be connected to one inverter if the battery systems are DC coupled. You can change the amount of (equal) battery systems, however, so if your three inverters are the same, you can have 3 x inverter "xy" connected to 3 x dc battery system "abc".

Hope that helps, kind regards,

Martin

Thank you Martin,

It does help, but then I have two more questions.

I actually thought I had an AC coupled battery system. Is that possible? How to change from an AC to DC coupled system and vice-versa?

Second, I don't understand how I can have 3x inverter conected to the DC battery system because I difined the battery system and the inverter in different tabs.

Again, thank you, 

Miguel

Hi Miguel,

you can change the type of coupling in the battery system itself. Note that you can't change system database entries, you'll have to create your own, e.g. by copying an existing one:

grafik.png

What I meant with connecting 3 equal DC coupled battery systems to 3 equal inverters is that. On the inverter page you have 3 times the same inverter:

grafik.png

And then on the battery system page you'll have the battery system amount set to 3:

grafik.png

Hope that clarifies the doubts. If you have questions, please let me know!

Kind regards,

Martin

Hey Miguel,

the lifetime of the batteres is influenced by two effects: cycle loads and time. So there are the "cyclic lifetime" and the "calendar lifetime", the first of which we can calculate, and the second is more a number that is given by the manufacturer (determined by tests).

The calculation of the cyclic lifetime is described here (at the end of that page, applies also for li ion batteries:

https://help.valentin-software.com/pvsol/2020/calculation/battery-systems/lead-acid-batteries/

According the standards, we consider a battery as "dead" when it has reached 80% of its initial capacity. It is then replaced by a fresh one.

Hope that helps, kind regards,

Martin

• 2 years later...

Hi Martin,

I have also been trying to build a DC connected system with 2x hybrid inverters and 2x batteries. I think am coming up against the same problem, where I believe the system appears to 'underperform' because both batteries are connected to 1 of the hybrid inverters rather than each battery being connected to it's own hybrid inverter. So, the charging ability is limited. I have two questions:

1. Are there plans to build in this functionality into PVSol in the near future?

2. What is the best work around to be able to model a system like this but without the limitations?

I have been thinking about building as similar a system as possible (but AC connected) to approximate the simulation. However, I am aware I need to match the inverter specs and battery charging specs very well in order for it to be sufficient. Would this be an okay approach?

Thanks for your help in advance, appreciate any guidance you have!

Cheers

Ellie

Hi Ellie,

15 hours ago, El_Bay said:

1. Are there plans to build in this functionality into PVSol in the near future?

Yes, we plan to implement this functionality this year, but I can't give an exact date yet.

15 hours ago, El_Bay said:

2. What is the best work around to be able to model a system like this but without the limitations?

As a first approach, the AC connection workaround works quite well, but as you mention, you have to be careful with the parameters. Another option would be to skip the shading calculation of your 3D project. Due to the mechanics of the underlying simulation algorithm, the DC connection problem only occurs when there are shadows in 3D.

Kind regards,

Martin