Power optimizer vs inverter

timgreen13

Dear PV*Sol support team

i have a question : when i tried to use power optimizer option i was told that it can be only used with SolarEdge inverters :(  why is that? 

i remember when i spoke with some LG representative he told me that no problem and i use the power optimizer with their panels .

so its a real issue or PV*Sol software limitation ?

Thanks !   

Hi Tim,

thank you for the interesting question. I guess it is neither a real issue nor a limitation of our software :)

If you select SolarEdge power optimizers with inverters of different manufacturers you will get a "warning" from PV*SOL, stating that the optimizers may only be used with inverters from SolarEdge. This is because SolarEdge says so (not sure why), but since it is only a warning in PV*SOL, you can simulate the system anyway.

We heard from other planners that they combine SE power optimizers with other inverters as well. But perhaps check again with SolarEdge what their opinion is on that topic.

Kind regards,

Martin

Hi Tim,

if you combine SolarEdge (SE) power optimizers with non-SE inverters, one difference will be the DC voltage range. SE inverters usually have a fixed DC voltage, other inverters have a rather wide range of several hundreds of volts where they can track the IV curves and find the maximum power point (MPP).

The output will be slightly different, yes. The best way to find out these differences is just to simulate different systems and compare the results :)

Kind regards,

Martin