Solar yield on a curved roof

ABHINAV CHAUHAN

Dear PVSOL forum,

I am working on a student project at Technical university of Denmark. I have to calculate solar potential for a house located in china and the house has a curved roof. However, when i try to see the object view, the PVSol is not accepting the roof and it gives an error that 'COVERABLE OBJECT REQUIRED'. I do not know how to make the PV system for a curved roof if i want it to be BIPV. I am also attaching the sketchup model and image of the house. I request you to kindly provide any help.

Link for Sketch up - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gg4rN3-HSo5ZlVRfH1obZ7CqtmcuyE0U/view?usp=sharing

Link for Picture - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CdOjWGD723ts95ez-lXoD4UrFOl99TUO/view?usp=sharing

Hi Abhinav,

are you participating in the Solar Decathlon Europe? Nice to see that this competition is still running. I was also participating, in the SDE 2010 edition, with Team Berlin. What a unique time! We wish you and your team all the best! ?

Regarding the curved roof: It is not possible, unfortunately, to place modules on curved roofs as yours. The reason is that PV*SOL is scanning the surface for flat planes, and it only finds small sections on your roof, see for example the blue highlighted area:

grafik.png

This is too small to place a module there. You could redesign your model in Sketchup so that the roof consists of five segments only, so that they are large enough to host a module row.

Hope that helps, kind regards,

Martin

• Like 1

Hey Martin,

Yes our team is participating in Solar Decathlon in China in 2021 not in Europe as SD-Europe has been shifted to 2022 due to Covid-19. It is really good to know that you have been a previous participant in the event. Thank you for your help. I will check with my civil engg team how they can modify this design to suit PVSol requirements.

Regards,

Abhinav