reflection losses

Vishnu

Hallo Team,

I was trying to compare system performace for a project using different modules. I found it interesting that the module surface reflection losses with Qcells 345 Wp and SunPower 390 Wp modules are zero. Whereas, the losses are significant when I used Glass-Glass modules (Sonnenstromfabrik and Solarwatt). The Sonnenstromfabrik module I used for simulation is not present in the database and so i added it myself.

If it happens that Glass-Glass modules have higher reflection losses, i wonder how PV*Sol considered the module that I added as Glass-Glass (of course, I mentioned it in the name of the module). Also, isn't it strange that the losses are zero for Qcells or someother module? To my knowledge, no matter how good the anti-reflection layer is and no matter how good the cell surface polishing during fabrication for total-internal-reflection is, there will be reflection losses. Please correct me if i am wrong. Attached are screenshots of Energiebilanz for different modules.

Please see the attachment for screenshots of Energiebilanz. In case you wanna check my tool settings, i have also attached a Test project. It is not the same as the project in discussion but it should allow you to see the settings.

Screenshots.docx Test.pvprj

Hi Vishnu,

To my knowledge, no matter how good the anti-reflection layer is and no matter how good the cell surface polishing during fabrication for total-internal-reflection is, there will be reflection losses.

You are right, a module without reflection losses doesn't exist. And to our present knowledge it can't exist in future.

The PV module data is entered into our database by the manufacturers, so they are responsible to provide the correct values. Or provide the values that represent their module in the best way possible.

We calculate the reflection losses in dependance of the angle of incidence:

https://help.valentin-software.com/pvsol/2019/calculation/pv-modules/reflection-in-module-plane/

Kind regards,

Martin