modelling grid congestion

Peter_

Recently we have lots of projects where there is grid congestion:        situations  where there is limited grid feedin    (this we can model in PVSOL)  but also situations where the client has higher demand of electricity than the connection can provide,  limited grid export/usage so to speak,   In such situations we would like to help our clients by adding solar and sometimes a battery.

my question is: how to model such a system in PVsol, is there a way to limit the grid usage?   or to charge a battery from grid at night for use in day? 

currently I would make a grid connected system, add the yearly energy usage profile + solar pv system, and then use the excel export to extract the data I need.

in addition for some battery systems designIt would have my personal preference that if there is no suitable system configuration to cover the needs, instead of getting an error/ no calculation,   we would still get a system calculation in which the extra energy needed still came from the grid but it would have a different name. eg. 'energy shortage' or something and a different color in the graphs, in that situation we at least have info on how much the difference to overcome should be.

would love to hear from others how they approach this problem,

Peter

Hi Peter,

the grid usage can't be limited right now, I am afraid. But if you export the grid usage data as hourly or one-minute values, you can check wether the maximum power of your mains connection is exceeded.

On 6/16/2023 at 9:05 AM, Peter_ said:

in addition for some battery systems designIt would have my personal preference that if there is no suitable system configuration to cover the needs, instead of getting an error/ no calculation,   we would still get a system calculation in which the extra energy needed still came from the grid but it would have a different name. eg. 'energy shortage' or something and a different color in the graphs, in that situation we at least have info on how much the difference to overcome should be.

Do you refer to stand-alone systems? Could you explain your question perhaps with some examples? I am not sure if you refer to grid connected or stand-alone. If it is grid-connected, there is no error or "no calculation", even if the battery system is too small. If it is stand-alone, you really have to design the system carefully, so that PV and battery system together can cover the loads. But in this case there is no grid.

Kind regards,

Martin