Half cut poly modules!!

aapn77

Hi Kamal,

right now we don't have a distinct simulation model for half cell modules. But as we recognize that these modules are getting more and more popular, we do have this feature already on our list and hope to publish it soon.

In the meanwhile you can just enter your own module data as follows:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

With these data you can simulate the module. The only thing that will not be 100% correct is the behaviour in partly shaded conditions, so simulate with care :)

Kind regards,

Martin

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Martin,

I am interested in approaches to modelling half cell modules during shading. I am aware from other pvsol literature that once a shade line hits a standard submodule section, it's considered shaded and generates according to the shaded irradiance.  For halfcell modules with typically six distinct submodule areas, is the approach to sum the currents of sections with common bypass diodes, and then sum the voltages of the bypass diode sections? I would be grateful if you correct any inaccuracies, and let me know if there is any literature available describing the modelling approach  used by pvsol for shaded half cell modules. 

Kind regards

Lynette

Hi Lynette,

yes, the assumption is correct. On a standard half cell module, we have six sub-module areas, connected over three bypass diodes. So we have a series connection of 3 x (2 areas in parallel on one diode).

I am afraid that at the moment I don't have any other literature to point you at, but here is a video where I try to explain the whole thing. It is in German, unfortunately, but with the auto-generated subtitles, you might be able to understand the main points.

Here is also a screenshot from the video that explains the shading behavior in comparison to a standard full-cell module:

grafik.png

If you have any further questions, or if you need help with the weird auto-translated youtube video, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin, 

Thanks for the youtube video.  I had some fun with the autotranslate.  Luckily I have some German from my Irish Abitur exams, though it was over 20 years ago!.  

I understand that the module is outputting 2/3 rds of its output at 1G, and 1/3 rd at the shaded irradiance.  I was expecting the behaviour to be different however, but maybe I am misunderstanding something, as the diode position is not given.  Assuming the diodes combine the two parallel strings outlined in the red rectangle in the halfcell module,  and the current from each half cell section to be half of the full cell, I don't see the addition of the currents in the simulation for each bypass diode group.  I was anticipating that the currents coming from the shaded half cell bypass diode sections, would be greater than the the shaded full cell bypass diode sections, as half of the current is combined with 0.2 of the current in the scenario outlined below, where I = Isc. The full cell would be generating 0.4I.  Could you please clarify?

image.thumb.png.e1206bdecbe5470541ad033509fd166f.png

Hi Lynette,

I am happy that you had your fun with the video, I hope we can provide a video in English language soon :)

Concerning the sumation of the currents: I quickly checked that and I suppose you are right. Next week I will have the time to check that more in detail and discuss the issue with my colleagues. I will get back to you then.

Kind regards,

Martin

• 3 years later...

Hi

When creating half cell modules to compare their performance the only difference will be in ticking the half cell box right? 

I have been doing this and finding that half cut cells have a greater module configuration shading in comparison to a standard cell with the same rating and all other characteristics.

Why must this be?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kashaf,

thanks for your post.

On 6/23/2024 at 4:57 PM, Kashaf said:

When creating half cell modules to compare their performance the only difference will be in ticking the half cell box right? 

Yes, this is correct.

On 6/23/2024 at 4:57 PM, Kashaf said:

I have been doing this and finding that half cut cells have a greater module configuration shading in comparison to a standard cell with the same rating and all other characteristics.

Why must this be?

That also seems different to me than expected. Could you share the project file in this thread or send it to me via private message in this forum so I can take a closer look?

Kind regards

Mikio