Problems when using Sketchup model

Esteban

Hello everyone!

I am having an issue while importing models from Sketchup. The thing is that if the model has textures such as paint or concrete PVSOL doesn't recognize that surface and it is impossible to place solar modules on that surface.

Here I attach a picture where the white surfaces doesn't have any texture and are recognized, and the grey one is concrete where I can't place modules.

I also try importing the model without textures and change it using the 'texture' command within PVSOL but it was not possible as this option doesn't appear when I right click in the surface.

Hope someone can help me and thanks in advance!

Esteban

Screenshot 2022-05-16 124055.png

Hi Esteban,

your model does have a plane reaching over your building:3dmodel01.png

I removed it and exported your model as .obj file. .skp files cannot be imported directly into PV*SOL. SketchUp offers the possibility to export files in .stl format. Then you can use the 3D program https://www.blender.org/ to open it and export to various formats.

image.png

I hope this helps! If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Best regards,
Frederik

Hi Frederik,

Thanks for you quick answer. I don't know which software did you use to see that overlaying surface but I believe that has to do with the added texture.

Anyway I solved the problem of the textures exporting the file as .obj as I was doing it as .dae.

Having done this I faced another mild issue, the small structures on the the roof are not "seen" and modules are placed on top of them. Hope this picture clarifies what I am trying to explain. Any idea on how to solve this?

image.thumb.png.7fd8ad7803f4700174f8fbac7f399818.png

Hi Esteban,

the automatic recognition of possible mounting surfaces has always been in beta only and never matured to more than an experimental method.

You have to paint this mounting surface onto your model:

3dmodel02.png

3dmodel03.png

After this, you are able to place modules as intended:

3dmodel04.png

I hope this helps.

Best regards,
Frederik

• 2 months later...

The answer is useful, thanks for the info! 

Sketchup really is not best suited for this kind of modelling. Not only does it not really have the tools for it, but once your polygon count gets high, Sketchup slows down. A lot. If you’re serious about it, you’re probably better off getting into blender. Steeper learning curve but so much more capable than Sketchup.
 I’ve used a XP-Pen Deco 01 V2 drawing pad in photoshop, SketchUp and blender for many years and I'm sure it's a great experience.  a lot more easier / better / faster / etc than regular mouse which always sucks because of its ergonomics.

• Thanks 1