3D model texture missing

Johan

Hi All,

I am having quite some issues with the importing of 3D models.
Very often (if not always) there are white spots / there is texture missing.

When I open the 3D file wich is a .OBJ file with a 3D viewer it looks fine, after importing it to PV*Sol premium 2022 R2 there is texture missing.
Sometime after restarting the program it becomes a bit better but not always.

Can someone give me some tips on how to prevent this?

Greetz Johan

3D_viewer.jpg

3D_PVSol.jpg

Hi Johan,

How many textures are you using? Seems to me like just a few textures are missing and that it may be caused by trying to use too many. I've never used more than 100 textures myself so if you're using slightly more than a round number that might be an indication that there's a limit to how many textures PV*SOL can load. 

And I have to say, nice models. 

15 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Hi Johan,

How many textures are you using? Seems to me like just a few textures are missing and that it may be caused by trying to use too many. I've never used more than 100 textures myself so if you're using slightly more than a round number that might be an indication that there's a limit to how many textures PV*SOL can load. 

And I have to say, nice models. 

Hi Jimmy,

For this model I only have 49 texture images, so I am guessing that that should not be the issue.

On 12/14/2021 at 9:41 AM, developer_mh said:

Hi Johan,

often this is caused by the file names of the textures. Be sure that there are only letters and numbers in them. If it doesn't work, feel free to send your obj file to hotline@valentin-software.com, together with a link to this thread.

Hope that helps, kind regards,

Martin

Hi Martin,

Did you or you're collegues get my email?
A support reply would be highly apreciated!

Greetz Johan

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Hi Johan,

I'm commenting to bump this up for visibility. Also, if you'd like I'd be happy to take a quick look at the files to see if I can spot anything. Send me a private message if you'd like me to take a look. 

Best

Jimmy

Hi Jummy,

I have send you the download link for the files in a DM.

It would be great if you could have a look!
(It would also be great if Valentin could have a look).

Greetz Johan

Hi Johan,

I'm getting much worse results than you, but I think that's because I'm still using 2021 version of PVSOL and they've made some improvements to the texture size limit in the 2022 version (previously only 1024x1024, now it seems to accept 4096x4096).

So, for me it looks like you're only missing a single, small, texture from your screenshots and there's only really one texture that stands out to me as different from the rest.

I'm just guessing but maybe if you tried to rename "Kloostertuin_GeneratedMat50" to "Kloostertuin_material0050" so that it follows the other naming convention and also change the name in the *.mtl file (it's at the bottom) to the same.

If the doesn't work you can try to rebake the textures in Blender to a smaller size and see if that does it.

I'm afraid that that's as much as I can think of.

Best

Jimmy

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Johan,

sorry for the late reply, I forgot to forward some info from our technical support here. They tried your project several times, each time without problem. Since you do not have this problem every time (but nearly), Jimmy has even worse results, and my colleagues don't have problems, I would guess that it has nothing to do with the file itself. Might be more a problem with the RAM, perhaps. Did you try Jimmy's suggestion?

On 1/10/2022 at 5:43 PM, Jimmy said:

If the doesn't work you can try to rebake the textures in Blender to a smaller size and see if that does it.

Do you have the possibility to try that same project on a computer with more RAM?

Kind regards,

Martin

Hi Martin,

I have tried to use a smaller size, this did not change the result.
Currently I am using 16Gb of RAM, now I will upgrade to 64Gb also for some other aplications a bit more than 16Gb could be usefull.

The other specs should be more than sufficient I think:
CPU - Intel Core i9-9880H
Storage 1TB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

What is the amount of RAM used by you're colleagues?

Greetz Johan

Hi Johan,

yes, your specs should be largely sufficient. My colleagues' are similar, even less powerful:

Intel Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 
16 Gb RAM
NVidia Geforce Gt 610

To be honest, I do not really know what could be the reason then. Could you perhaps test if the textures are loading consistently if you close PV*SOL, restart it and then open your project directly? Then close it again and re-open it. If this fails sometimes and sometimes not, it is almost certainly not a RAM issue. If it works all the time for the first time, but then doesn't work for the second time, when you leave PV*SOL open, it might be a memory leak in the 3D environment, that, for some reason, has more impact on some systems then on others.

Sorr for the vague answer, but at the moment we do not know more.

Kind regards,

Martin