Cannot get mounting surfaces on a simple block

Wouter

Hi,

I cannot determine the mounting surfaces automatically on this block. I extracted it from a bigger roof drawing, since it somehow doesn't seem to work, while I can't see what is wrong with it, with other similar blocks it works fine. See also screenshot attached, the right roof works fine, while the left one (the .obj created from the .dwg attached) somehow doesn't work. Can you tell me what is going wrong here?

Thanks,

Wouter

PVSOL.png

settings.png

Only1block.dwg only 1block.obj

Hi Wouter,

The "determine mounting surfaces automatically" function is in beta so I suspect that there can be any number of reasons. I don't use that function myself, I simply draw the mounting surface on imported models since I find it more reliable and precise. 

Although I am wondering if the "plane tolerance" might have something to do with this. Maybe if you increased it it could work? But I'd just draw it manually since that should take about 10 seconds. 

Hi,

yes, the function for sure isn't as straightforward as it should be. I've spent a lot of time in getting the models made and exported in a way that the function works in PVSol. 

Now I usually manage to make it work, just why this simple "one surface" model isn't working bugs me, cause it is exactly the same as others that do work, except for the dimensions.

Plane tolerance is there to merge planes together, so shouldn't have any influence on this one.

Hi Jimmy,

I'm aware of the function. But we have a perfectly accurate 3D model already created, which should not need the manual draw tool. If I'd start from a 3D mesh from drone data or something like that, I'd use that tool. (Or in case the software doesn't do what it should, but then I'd rather find out why first, as I'm doing here.)

Gr.

So, I downloaded your model and tried to automatically determine the mounting surface. The model was acting really strange when I tried to activate it and going to a side view instead of a top view. So I tried to tilt the model backwards to see if that made any difference and I was able to place the models on the "roof" (which was now the side of the building).

I then removed the module array and tilted it back to its original position. So. I was able to automatically determine the mounting surface on the roof. The issue is that the mounting surface ends up being on the inside of the roof.

Here are the panels on the roof, clipping through the roof from the inside and upside down.

image.thumb.png.8be06cf96692343557bbb9c61307d439.png

And here's a view from the inside of the building.

image.thumb.png.a6caee742f75bcba70dabd8fa868358f.png

I think that this can be fixed by making the model a solid or increasing the thickness of the roof but I don't know that because I can't get the model to work in Blender.

Hope that helps you a bit. 

Hi Wouter,

our 3D team checked your model and it seems to be fine. Apparently there is a bug in the automatic detection of the mounting surfaces. We will file a bug notice with your model attached to the responsible developer so that he can fix it perhaps. But since he is busy right now with other things, and since it is a feature in beta state, please understand that there won't be an immediate fix for that.

In the meanwhile we recommend to use the draw tool in those cases in order to get clean mounting surfaces.

Kind regards,

Martin