Floating PV in PV*SOL

Manuel Romanian

Hi all together!

What's the best way to consider PV systems built on a water body in PV*SOL? So far, there is no opportunity to take lower temperatures (1-3°) and therefore higher energy yields (5-10%) of the PV systems on water within PV*SOL into consideration. The only way I've thought of so far is to change the ambient temperature at the destination to the targeted- For example, if we have Berlin with mean temperatures of 12° over the year, I could decrease the temperature to 10°. However, this seems to be quite inaccurate to me and I would like to ask for another idea how to handle that problem. Additionally, it is quite complicated to create your own climate data file, which is why there probably must be another solution?

Thanks for any answer.

Best, Manuel

Hi Manuel,

right now there is no specfic installation type for floating PV mounting systems that would lead to 1 to 3°C lower temperatures. The closest option right now would be the open space mounting:

image.png

In addtion you can set the albedo value to water:

https://help.valentin-software.com/pvsol/2020/options/#simulation

https://help.valentin-software.com/pvsol/2020/calculation/irradiation/ground-reflection/

But we will add an installation type for floating PV in the one of the next releases.

Kind regards,

Martin

Thanks for your answer. I know that the  closest option right now would be the "Mounted - Open Space" solution. However, as previously mentioned I thought about additionally adjusting the ambient temperature in the area. What is the best way for lowering the temperature in a certain region within PV*SOL? Thanks.

And good to hear that soon Floating is going to be considered within PV*SOL.

On 9/2/2020 at 6:14 PM, Manuel Romanian said:

What is the best way for lowering the temperature in a certain region within PV*SOL? Thanks.

I'd say you will have to extract the climate data (csv export after the simulation, then take the irradiation and temperature values). In a spreadsheet application, manipulate the ambient temperature as desired, make a new climate data file out of it, and the re-import it into PV*SOL.

Here's a description of how the file format for climate data import has to look like:

https://help.valentin-software.com/pvsol/2020/pages/system-type-climate-and-grid/meteosyn/#options

But it will be a really rough work around, and I am not sure if you want to recommend that.

Kind regards,

Martin