Electric car effect in PV + Battery system

tsarbiker

Hi,

Let's have A:

image.thumb.png.2949567498be55b90304e91bc7d98452.png

and B:

image.thumb.png.095d893ee59954d2c50e371ef9dacb92.png

B and A are exactly the same setup (PV, PV mount and location, Battery, home energy consumption).

B is significantly worse then A in term of energy used from the grid and energy exported.

So what changed :D:D!

The electric car settings :). What I want to point out here is that code wise, there is room for improvement.

The combination of desired range per week and entering the time when car the car is plugged in, leads to incorrect estimate in my case.

I drive Monday to Thursday around 40km twice per day. Friday around 300km and Sunday around 75km.

If I enter the data previously mentioned I get:

image.png.91ad30c4d8d6e15570e8e6c524a0307d.png

That is not correct, it thinks I drive more per drive then I really do and that leads to incorrect estimate in my case.

To fix this I have to duplicate my car :D:D. I now have 3 cars.

1. Drive Monday to Thursday - 420 km

2. Drive Friday - 300 km

3. Drive Sunday - 75km

image.png.45f1da413754826e75970d84ca7672c1.png

I also have to set the time when they charge so that they are never at the same time at the charger as obviously we only have one car :).

This gives me a better trip length assumption during the week:

image.png.8a5fa44218b1872c353fadfe35b12fc1.png

It would be great if there was an alternative way to enter the correct data. Maybe the possibility to enter your mileage for each day of the week.

As you have seem from the pictures, I have the charging mode set to PV optimized and automatic phase switching.

I assumed that in that case it would charge using what solar is available during the day and when it reaches closer to the next trip charge at full speed to get back to a fully charge car.

In practice, as soon as the car is plugged, it will charge directly at full charging speed so 11kw continue until car is charged.

image.thumb.png.f38f1baab0064110ff3a43564a1de825.png

To avoid that I created a copy of the Tesla model 3 and set the charging speed to 1.4kw and used that setting for my 3 cars :).

The car is now able to use more of the energy from the PV, instead of the battery or the grid.

image.thumb.png.0c3a250b471a3d817cea7d2821bddf61.png

It would be nice if you could set a minimum charge that the car need to have. By default the car uses only solar (only charge when solar is there and to the speed that the solar provide) and only if it sees its not gonna reach the minimum charge before the next trip starts, it start charging at max speed. 

This would also help in the case where someone doesn't drive much. If one day there is not much solar, the car will not charge much on that day (if it is not lower then the minimum charge level) and wait for the next day.

This would overall lead to way better self consumption.

All these modifications lead to a 1100+kwh/year difference, that's quite significant :).

Thank you for this great software and all your hard work.

image.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello tsarbiker

Thank you for your valuable input.

On 2/26/2024 at 7:19 PM, tsarbiker said:

It would be great if there was an alternative way to enter the correct data. Maybe the possibility to enter your mileage for each day of the week.

I put this into our wishlist as a features request. I admit it might be cumbersome to enter varying mileage using the car groups.

On 2/26/2024 at 7:19 PM, tsarbiker said:

This would overall lead to way better self consumption.

With the upcoming release there will be a proportionate charging mode using energy from the grid and the PV generator.

Kind regards
Frederik

• Like 1