How to change sun's position?

Audrius

• Audrius changed the title to How to change sun's position?

Hello Audrius

On 12/10/2023 at 5:44 PM, Audrius said:

Solar azimuth must be 180 degrees and elevation angle 180 degrees all 8670 hours. Is it possible to do that?

Could you elaborate what you are trying to achieve?

At the moment it is possible to get the I-V-curves for any given timestep. So if you are interested in a certain angle you could find a timestep which comes near a desired value for sure. But I assume I am not quiet understanding your question, so feel free to refine it.

Kind regards
Frederik

• 3 weeks later...

Hello once again.

Currently I'm currently modeling shadows and will evaluate how bypass diodes and optimizers deal with shading. Basically I need PV and IV curves. I reproduce the real system, after simplifying it I have modeled it:

image.thumb.png.8f44654589bc528c9aa189320cf4fa32.png

I have inserted the object into the photovoltaic module. I noticed that after inserting a 1 mm object above the module, the program does not calculate the shading, i.e. its worthless. The program is able to start evaluating the shadow when it protrudes more than 10 cm. Therefore, if the sun does not shine perpendicularly, the shadow will also fall on other cells, which will distort the test results. Therefore, I would like the sun to really shine perpendicularly at all or at certain moments, in order to avoid additional shadows due to the height of the inserted object.

Or is PVSOL capable of simulating cell row or specific cell shading in other ways?

Hello, I'm still waiting for any help.

Also I have few more question.

1. Is it possible to insert thinner than 0,1m object in 3D area? For example 0,01 m width, 1 m length, 1 m height object?

2. Why only 55,6% losses are obtained when the photovoltaic module is fully covered? If the module does not receive light at all, in my opinion there should be 100% losses?

image.thumb.png.3f122b222e2800681ca78b4ab4d8ffbf.png

image.png.c010c0180088770f2dfe897f7a46c8ff.png

Hello Audrius

Sorry for the late answer.

On 12/27/2023 at 8:05 AM, Audrius said:

Currently I'm currently modeling shadows and will evaluate how bypass diodes and optimizers deal with shading. Basically I need PV and IV curves. I reproduce the real system, after simplifying it I have modeled it

Thank you for your interesting questions.

On 12/27/2023 at 8:05 AM, Audrius said:

Or is PVSOL capable of simulating cell row or specific cell shading in other ways?

Unfortunately PV*SOL is not really suitable for researching specific scientific questions as yours where you do need straight, probably not changing moments in time to have a look into how a module reacts. It is not possible to set a position of the sun which deviates from the position of the respective time step.

Therefore one solution might be to check the position of the sun and the corresponding shadows onto the module for a certain time step for a location. You could then check the I-V-curves but you will still have the problem of the irradiation not representing a well defined value.

Additionally you could rotate your modules to have a further option of finding perpendicular shadings.

20 hours ago, Audrius said:

1. Is it possible to insert thinner than 0,1m object in 3D area? For example 0,01 m width, 1 m length, 1 m height object?

The 3D environment is limited in resolution, unfortunately.

20 hours ago, Audrius said:

2. Why only 55,6% losses are obtained when the photovoltaic module is fully covered? If the module does not receive light at all, in my opinion there should be 100% losses?

This definitely seems odd and I could offer to forward your .pvprj project file to our 3D developer.

Does this help? If you have further question, please feel free to ask!

Kind regards
Frederik

Hi Audrius

At last I am able to answer your request, thank you for your patience.

Our 3D environment did have certain boundaries what should and should not be possible with it when development started decades ago. One requirement was being able to determine direct shading from a minimum distance of about 10cm.

It was not intended to put PV modules within objects like chimneys or walls. This requirement led to virtually half transparent objects when inside of those objects.

It is possible to create completely surrounding objects which lead to full direct shading. Also when extruding a polygon and then moving and putting it over your module you could create the desired effect.

I attached you a test project.
Does this help?

Kind regards
Frederik

more-than-56-perc.pvprj